Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Correctional Learning Centers

-
This just in: California’s budget deficit has grown so severe that Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger said he may be forced to release 40,000 prisoners or lay off 51,000 teachers if voters next week reject three budget balancing measures.

I won't even get started on the relative teacher/prisoner cost (apparently it stands at 0.78:1.00) and what this implies for the California educational and correctional systems; I will also refrain from wondering how on earth from the presumably thousands of cost items in the state budget we ended up with this really charming dilemma; and I will go straight to my proposal:

Fire the teachers, release the prisoners, and make them teachers!

If you take into account the situation in most schools in California, I would expect the student discipline level to increase, the learning content to stay about the same, and the perceived harshness of the prisoners' punishment to skyrocket...
-

No comments: